Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Tragedy of Sohrab and Rostam

One of the major themes of The Tragedy of Sohrab and Rostam is fate.  From the beginning of the story, Sohrab and Rostam are both portrayed as men of unusually large size and strength.  Rostam pulls a tree from the ground and uses it to spit a burrough, and Sohrab is so big and strong for his age that he is mistaken for a grown man when he is only ten years old.  Despite their size and strength, both men realize that they are virtually powerless against the whims of fate.  As Rostam is preparing for the second day’s fight, he says to Kavus, “…though I strive, I don’t know who will win.  Nor do I know what choice Yazdan will make.  Strength, victory, and fame all come from Him…”  After Sohrab is mortally wounded by his father, he does not blame him for his impending death.  Instead, he says to Rostam, “This was the fate allotted me.  The heavens gave my key into your hand.  It’s not your fault.  It was this hunchback fate, who raised me up then quickly cast me down.”  This story clearly shows that not even the biggest or strongest of humans is a match for fate and the will of the gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment